Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Be a Roman in Rome?


This day happened to be that once in a blue moon day when I saw sun rising. I had to drop my brother who was traveling back to our home town at the central railway station which is few miles from my living place. He had a train to catch at 6:15 am. We both started in the bike by quiet early to reach in time. I took the wheels as he donned the pillion rider. The way to the station has a long stretch of road that runs along the second longest beach in the world the marina. During the early hours it used to be deserted with the walkers and joggers running on the pavement breathing in the fresh air.
This road which stretches more than couple of miles has lot of traffic signals in between as it is harbored with lot of government offices and buildings and also educational institutes. The road those intersect this main road adds more reason to have more traffic signals. The sea breeze, the rising sun, silent ambiance, soothing atmosphere all adds to the aura making it perfect for a morning ride in the bike. As I was cruising through I was lucky enough not to be interrupted by the signals as it was green whenever I encounter it. It was as if someone was watching from above letting the signals go green at my arrival.
Taking it by my side I approached the next signal which was blinking green from a distance. I thought for a moment that I shall take it but then as I approached the stop line it changed to red giving me lesser than the usual time to stop my vehicle in time. I managed to follow the the rules of raising my hand to indicate the person who were behind me that I am discontinuing the ride before i came to a halt.
It happened so that a heavy tripper truck that was coming behind at a safe distance overtook us ignoring the signal. The cleaner who was on the left side of the truck scowled at us as the sand carrier passed by as i have done something sinful that no man should do. I didn’t realize how close we were to get into an accident until my brother informed me with a wry smile that the truck changed direction in the last minute. The truck would have simply run over us giving us a momentary stardom sparing some space for us in the morning news.
Jokes apart, this incident gave me couple of things to think about. My horoscope claims that I shall meet with an accident by this august. Is it coming alive? The second one is the debate I had with my fellow blogger on whether to do the way Romans do in Rome, analogous to be a cheater in this world filled with cheats. The first thought being insignificant my mind wandered around the roman thing. This incident wouldn’t have happened had I not stopped for the signal just like the truck driver. This made my affinity towards the old adage “While in Rome do as the Romans do” even stronger. I believe life is far more precious to be wasted in a road accident just for the heck of sticking to the rules.
If you ask me if ever I would follow the traffic signals during the abandoned time of the day then my answer would be negative. I would rather prefer to get bruised not following the rules than get seriously injured following it in a world full of rule breakers.
Be a Roman in Rome if you want to be alive. Values are to live, if life is at stake then value has no value.

6 comments:

  1. Avinash,I am not able to agree with you.Not following the rules can also land one in a bigger accident.One mad cap driver of a sand lorry is no reason to disregard the rules of the road that most road users would follow.Imitating Romans in Rome appliies to normal and legal practices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm Avin, I strongly disagree with you. I think you are too quick to judge by just one incident that you came across. Lets say at one point you do not follow the traffic rules and you meet with an accident, you will feel guilty all your life, but if you had followed the rule atleast you will be satisfied that the mistake was not on your part.
    And as for the proverb, take the good things in it not the bad ones :)
    happy blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome.. I am really really overwhelmed by the way you write... the usage of words ... the description of every single detail... You have a wonderful gift(talent)... "To put your exact feelings in words... " Its a very rare gift...

    Wish to see more blogs from you

    Ragav...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments.I shall follow the signal as far as there is no truck or heavy vehicle behind me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote long comments twice but the connection broke and it could not be saved... Hence this time, the comment will be crisp...

    Nice blog.. Enjoyed your style...

    I think it is OK to break rules to save your life.. But it could lead to a completely different problem.. eg. a cop can catch you and delay your going to the station etc. Or a vehicle coming from the other side may crash into you...

    The best course of action are as follows:

    1. Drive only on the slow lane
    2. Allow others to move ahead and overtake
    3. Do not speed esp. near signals
    4. Clearly indicate your desire to stop by raising your hand
    5. Look in the rear view and decide what is best at that point of time

    Thought provoking blog... Keep writing

    cheers

    Vish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Vish for your valuable comments.
    I am really pleased that you left your comments behind despite the trouble caused by the network. I really appreciate it.
    Notepad will be of great help especially when the comments are going to be long. I think no body should miss your valuable suggestions.

    ReplyDelete